Pages

Monday 16 July 2012

Using UDP sockets to connect a Windows 8 Metro style app to a .NET Micro Framework device: Part 1

One of my pet projects requires using UDP sockets from a Windows 8 Metro style app to talk to a microcontroller. UDP sockets are a pretty efficient way of communicating across wired and wireless connections.

In this first part, we'll focus on prototyping the Metro style XAML/C# app. The NETMF piece will be in the next post.

The first step is to figure out how we'll test this app. We're using UDP networking, unlike the more TCP networking (or HTTP) networking we do, you can't simply hit port 80 on a website.

That said, when dealing with something like UDP networking, it's good to keep the initial test as simple as possible. In this case, I wanted to test that UDP packets could indeed be sent from the Metro style app to another machine. Rather than create a throwaway listener app, I simply installed Wireshark on the destination PC and had it listen. I remote into my Windows 8 laptop from my main machine (which will run Windows 8 at release, but not just yet). For grins, my test setup looks like this:

Using UDP sockets to connect a Windows 8 Metro style app to a .NET Micro Framework device: Part 1


Read full article here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Informer Button