Pages

Thursday 16 August 2012

Adding multiple lines of text to your Win8 tile update

Adding multiple lines of text to your Win8 tile update Live tiles is one of the best things about Windows Phone and WinRT. I love how easy it is to add updates to your tiles in Windows Phone but hate how limited the updates are allowed to be. With WinRT comes a new API and more robust tile updates. There are many different types oftile updates and your app should support AT LEAST one square and one wide tile. If you’re like me (and I know I am), I started with theC# WinRT sample for App tiles and badges. I began looking at the code and could easily see that you use the TileUpdateManager to update your tile. The TileUpdateManager needs a TileNotification in order to update your tile. Here is where I quickly became lost in this rather complex sample. The TileNotification needs to be created with XML (an XmlDocumentto be exact) but I had not idea what XML elements are needed (Seriously, is all of the abstraction really needed here? This is suppose to be a simple sample to let devs see how to quickly and easily create a tile update). All I wanted to know was how to format the XML!

Read full article here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Informer Button