Pages

Saturday 13 October 2012

How to call WinRT APIs in Windows 8 from C# Desktop Applications - WinRT Diagram


How to call WinRT APIs in Windows 8 from C# Desktop Applications - WinRT Diagram
I was trying to access some of the sensors that are built into this Intel Ultrabook that runs Windows 8. However, while there's support for Location Sensors built into the .NET 4 libraries on Windows 7 and up, I want to access the complete Sensor and Location Platform that is built into Windows 8 itself. Those APIs are available via COM and I could call them via COM, but calling them via the WinRT layer is so much nicer. Plus, this is kind of why WinRT exists.

This got me thinking about WinRT and what it means. I did a podcast a few months ago that really cleared things up but I've always found all the various diagrams that attempted to explain how things fit together WAY TO COMPLEX.

Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Informer Button